My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, March 11, 2013

Brave Saige

You might have met Saige the other day in a previous post. She is a student of mine with Childhood Apraxia of Speech. A few days ago she was busily grabbing A LOT of paper and spreading it all out on the rug. Recently another student had modeled this way of organizing her ideas, however she had already begun writing. Saige was clearly still in the beginning stages of planning.
When I asked Saige what she was planning she started talking...I knew right away I needed to get my camera and film her. This was going to be big and I didn't just mean in the literal sense.
Saige begins telling her story about going to the circus. She visualizes her words on the page including her cover and title page. She knows where she wants it all to go and she is processing all the way through her ideas.

What a brave girl. I have never had a student take on a project of this magnitude and then go after it the way she has. She worked all through workshop time and through her playtime, more than an hour. Here she is midway through.

I did eventually have to stop her so she could go to gym with her classmates. The  next day she was back at it, working all through her workshop and playtime again! That is some stamina and drive. I hope to get a video of her reading the finished product this week.

12 comments:

  1. Betsy,
    Saige's work is inspirational...it is wonderful that you had the patience and background to allow her to try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine, having to stop a student in the middle of a project and she wants to continue. How wonderful. I wanted to watch her in action but your video is private. Are you aware of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about engagement! Wow! I wish we could get all of our students this inspired to write. Thanks for sharing Saige's story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome for Saige! I love that you had to stop her! How exciting! That's some stamina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is clear she is in just the right environment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer on the video, I'll see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I'm so glad you recorded this and I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! You, Paige, her bravery, your dedication.....your slice.....how inspiring!!! I can't wait for more.....thank you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her enthusiasm for what she is doing! Go Saige!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her Grandma Linda and I were best friends in high school. She has so much love and support at home I'm sure. This is awesome for her and them! Jane S.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!