My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Creating a Character

Last summer I participated in Teachers Write, a summer writing camp here in the blogosphere. I thought I would try out one of the assignments as a slice! Here it goes.

Creative multi-media approach to creating a character!
Find a Face
Find Their Song
Describe Characteristics

 Photo Credit: Sheldon Levy, March 2010

Name: Kelen Aubrey (People call him K)

From: Northern Michigan

Physical/Internal Characteristics: Weathered and wise he has grey thinning hair which he always covers with a cap. His light grey eyes reflect a reality that is different than the one he lives in his mind. The lines that surround his mouth are the roads that lead to early day memories of laughter and delight. An artist hiding as a retired steelworker, he used to cut metal for building frames, saving the scraps for his own sculpting. He knows pain and has known it in all of its forms. Though he hides it within him there is a gallery of his pain in his workshop. He finds himself humming along to a Johnny Cash song now and then but never near the ears of another. All he knows of himself is what he has created. He is alone.  





6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a picture and what a story Kelenske has. I felt like I was reading the beginnings of a biography. I'd like to know more of his story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome writing prompt. I'm going to share this in my own writing community. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea, and what you did with it. I love the idea of giving the character a song. Have you read Kate Messner's Real Revision? It has some forms I've used in my classroom this year for creating a character. Great stuff. I'd like to try your idea with my 7th graders. I think they'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I'm hoping to participate in the writing "camp" this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great writing prompt! I love the secret life he was leading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a picture, & what a description, Betsy. The inner workings of a man we never really knew, isn't it? Now I want to know who finds out about him, & what happens because of that! Great prompt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!