My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lost Dog


We lost our dog in the woods tonight. He ran right past me as I opened the door to go see my husband. It was cold. Dark. Silent. I thought, he'll come right back. My husband said, "Did you put on his leash?" Well...wasn't really planning on him coming with me, so, NO! I went and got the leash. He took it and said, "I'll find him." And he disappeared into the dark too. I kept hearing him calling. I stood in the middle of our backyard a bit helpless, waiting. Listening to all the crackling and wondering, can he see anything? Should I go back in the house? Will he come to the front door somehow getting around the other houses? I stood, motionless. Then it got quiet. No more calling out. Relief.


Lost in the night
you were
Alone in the dark
you were
Crackling your feet
you were
A ghost in the trees
you were
I CALLED OUT if
you were
Coming back to me, you were.




7 comments:

  1. Glad you found poochie! Your post had me worried at first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting on the edge of my seat...and so relieved that your dog was found. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Glad you found him! I liked the poem a lot...the repeating line was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fear in the poem is clear, really great wording, Betsy. I am sorry you had to go through this, so scary. Even if it was just a few minutes, still, it isn't easy. So happy it has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A time of intense worrying was so clear in the poem. I'm glad the calling out stopped, so you knew the lost was found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you used both prose and poetry in this piece, as one compliments and builds on the other. In the prose, I felt the tension build and worried for your dog, for you and your husband. Our pets are like our children, innocent babes. The poem takes on a different tone. We know the dog is found and I imagine you singing this poem to him, telling him of your worry, your love for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So scary! Glad your dog returned. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!