My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Meet Saige

What is childhood apraxia of speech?

Childhood apraxia of speech (CAS) is a disorder that effects the brain's ability to plan movements of the mouth, lips, and jaw. The child knows what he/she wants to say but the brain is unable to form and produce words, syllables and sounds.

This is Saige.
 When I first met her she was four and attending preschool in my building. She busily colored while we discussed what her kindergarten school year experience would be like. When Saige had begun preschool she was able to produce approximately six sounds. She was in speech therapy and making great progress. Her teachers were learning her speech patterns and her parents were extremely supportive to Saige getting her as much help as needed.
I have learned so much from this little girl. I don't think I have ever met a child who is more understanding and tolerant of others with special needs. Her best friend has autism in our classroom and Saige, without fail, supports her and works to engage her in classroom activities. She has to do double sometimes triple the work to get her message across. She has to slow down, repeat, have patience with herself and her listeners.  Saige is the kind of student you meet and you know she is going to do something amazing with her life. Saige reminds me everyday how lucky I am to be a teacher. I get to watch her make leaps and bounds. I get to see her feel success. I get to watch her grow and celebrate with her each school day.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonder she must be. I love Saige's bright eyes and cheery smile. I can see how you would learn a lot form her patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we are lucky that you share that learning with the rest of us. Saige is lucky to have a special teacher who understands just what she needs and supports her every day. Gotta love her sweet smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Saige's parents count their lucky stars that you are her teacher. She exudes joy in that photo. Thank you for putting a bit of sunshine in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great photo! She expresses so much with that smile. It sounds like you are a great match for her. Enjoy the learning - both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for introducing this sweetie pie. I love that she keeps on trying and loves and then loves some more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found that it's often the kids who struggle who have the most compassion for others. They can often teach us a lot about how to interact with others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful glimpse into your world and to one special student.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our students teach us so much. What a delight it must be to work with, and learn from, Saige.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty! I have a colleague with this same Speech difficulty, and she brings so much joy and patience to our environment! Thanks for honoring this little darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are blessed to have her, she is blessed to have you. I love your line, "Saige reminds me everyday how lucky I am to be a teacher." Thank you for the insight on apraxia of speech.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!