My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Someday...Today

I recently got the book Someday by Eileen Spinelli. As I read the book I thought I would like to write a poem inspired by the someday/today kind of pattern that occurs. My poem is very different from the story but I feel like it made me look at things I dream about doing and how they relate to things I am doing each and every day.








Someday I will climb a mountain
and look out at the world.
It will look back at me
and blow me a kiss of wind,
someday.

Today I will run into the wind
blowing clouds
from my burning lungs
and I will breathe life into
today.

Someday I will kayak with the whales.
They will say good morning
and I will sit quiet,
watching,
someday.

Today I will sketch a whale
for a child writing a someday story
of his dreams
and whale watching wishes
today.

10 comments:

  1. Betsy,
    I love the book, Someday. Actually, I'm quite a fan of Eileen Spinelli. I use so many of her books in my classroom as mentor texts. You are right, Someday is the perfect mentor for writing.

    "Someday I will kayak with the whales." I would love to do this. I'm sure it would inspire a million writing ideas.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful....I especially love te last two stanzas, where the whale figures in both the some day and the today in entirely different, meaningful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool Betsy! I'm hoping to add this book to my bookshelf soon! I like your reflection at the beginning as well. It's interesting to think about how what we are doing each day is leading us toward or away from our dreams of someday. Food for thought, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH No! People need to stop suggesting books for me to buy! I loved the calm I felt when I read of a kayak to a whale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the poems that you write. Just wrote a note to myself to try this format. I am still thinking about the world blowing a kiss at me.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book too and have used it as a mentor text for the structure. Your somedays are adventurous and goals to accomplish, but your today is important work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great book, Betsy, and you have made a new story like it. I love the Someday/Today chant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Betsy.

    In fact, I love it so much that I want to try one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading this post, it makes me think about all the things I want to do someday. My problem is that I tend to let reality get in the way of those special things I need to do for myself. Thank you for reminding me that I need to find balance with my real-world life and my someday life.

    Also, I have never read this book....but I will definitely be putting it on my someday list! Thanks for sharing such a inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my. I'd like to read the book and write a poem like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!