My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Why I Write

I write for myself
so I can express something
relive something
release something.
I write to hear my voice
to feel my words
to value myself.
I write to inspire
to awaken
to see
to reflect.
I write
for me.


Last night at about 11:15 I wrote a post for today. It was midnight by the time I was ready to stop reading/commenting/writing but I decided to wait to publish.
Then the day began and I wasn't feeling ready to hit the orange button on the screen.
I decided to take a walk in the woods behind our house. I took lots of photos and thought, perfect, this is a better slice for today.
Kids in bed, time to write for today and my husband says, "Did you watch that video about the guy from Cambodia yet?"
I hadn't. I had meant to. No better time than the present, right? I watched. Then I knew those other writing plans had changed.
I have posted the video below. It is very moving, raw and real.
Why do you write? 

11 comments:

  1. I write so I can remember. There are so many things I don't want to forget. Without writing, funny moments and sad times would be lost. I want to hold on to it all.

    Betsy -- would I be able to republish this poem on TWT on an upcoming call for weekly slice of life stories? If so, please shoot me an email (you have my email address) and lmk if that's okay.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write to process. I usually have a million things running through my mind 24/7. Writing allows me to process. I prefer to verbally process with someone, but that is not always possible living by myself. So, I write. Thanks for asking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write for a million reasons it seems. I write to reflect, to process feelings and thoughts. I write to work through doubt, to remember, and to learn. I love this poem Betsy. I will be printing it out to inspire me later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your poem, as well as the title. It opens up so many possibilities - so many reasons for so many purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your poem and can't wait to view the video.

    I write to live.

    Happy writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem says it so well, I do write for me and I didn't know that until I read your words. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your poem. It so completely expresses my feelings about writing too. I get that idea of writing to release and relive as well. I always feel like I know myself better after I write. You said it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love your poem. I've been thinking a lot about this especially because of the challenge and the struggles of writing these last couple days. I write for myself as well, to hold onto the memories.

    Thank you for sharing the video too. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Repetition and rhythm make poetry lift off the page, and your poem is a great example of that. Clarity as power.

    I write for all the reasons you mention, and also just to play. To have fun. It's like a really complex Lego set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful poem Betsy. I'll hold the video until later, like you did I guess. I write to capture things, for myself & family. Thanks for starting this journey in your slice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your poem! I'm so glad Stacey shared it today, because I had missed it the first time! I write for all of the reasons you do, and sometimes I just write because I have to write, because the words are inside of me and I'll burst if I don't! (Hate when that happens at 3a.m.!) The three early lines with "something" and different verbs were my favorite -- neat repetitious structure! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!