What does being a writer myself do for me as a teacher:
- grows my confidence
- puts me through the frustration of not having anything to write about
- gives me something to share
- allows me to model planning, drafting and revision....yes even in kindergarten
- becomes a bridge to drawing, another love
- reminds me that writing is a process
- connects me to other teachers who love teaching
- makes me vulnerable
- makes me think and process more
- helps me to reflect as a learner
- reminds me that writing is fun and stirs my enthusiasm...therefore stirring my enthusiasm to teach writing.
I think that last one is what makes the most difference. Before I was a writer my enthusiasm for writing was lacking. I was at a loss. I didn't really know how to do it and how to create excitement. I saw writing as a "thing" to be done on the list of things. I now know better. I know it is so much more, so much more than just words on a page.
If you didn't get a chance to see all the chalk-a-brators last week you should check them out. Remember, there is another Chalk-A-Bration on June 30th, July 31st, and August 31st!