My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

REALLY?

Sometimes it still shocks me what my students do and say at writing workshop. Today we had a schedule that deviated from the norm. There were fire trucks for fire safety, a tornado drill....you get the picture. Among all the chaos we had to fit in writing workshop. I knew I would have to cut it a little short, mind you we are up to sometimes more than an hour when all is said and done. When I say cut it short, there is still lots of time. Anyway, one of my little boys had been planning away, had been working on his story diligently and I had to give a "five minute sign" warning. It was just about time for lunch. His response was priceless. You would have thought he lost his dog. Shoulders slumped, sad eyes, a pout, and to top it off a moan...picture it AaaaAAaaAAah!
I looked at him, kind of unsure why he was upset. I mean really, this was a bit over the top.
"Dylan, what is it?" I asked him.
"I wanted to keep writing," in the whiniest voice he could muster.
Then I think my face mirrored his a bit because I felt so sad that I had to tell him to stop soon. He kind of tossed his pencil in frustration and began to clean up. I wasn't going to mention he still had five minutes, he was at the point of no return. But I stood back a moment and felt proud. My kids really love this time of day. It is probably their favorite. They love it so much they would rather write than go to lunch. I call that a big WIN!

12 comments:

  1. Wanting to write rather than going to lunch IS a big win! You've inspired them so much, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big win, indeed - good for you...and good for your kids, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little ones...my goal is for them to continue to say this throughout all the grades, including Middle and High. I don't really think this is an impossible dream. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reason for a "mini-tantrum"! Great story. Yes, this is definitely a big win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a reason to celebrate! We have been working this week on adding details to show emotion...Shoulders slumped, sad eyes, a pout, and to top it off a moan...picture it AaaaAAaaAAah! Perfect example!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have that be the child's frustration! Not enough time to write.... still true for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I wish for all teachers to witness. You have lit the writing fire and I hope it never burns out. You need to write a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have inspired your students! They believe in their stories. They are looking for an audience. Could we read Dylan's story one day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect!

    I always want to keep writing too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a big win-love the description of his expression, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Betsy! Priceless. That is a BIG win indeed. And as a side note, all great authors need to eat! Fuel for the writer's brain! :) Thanks for sharing this celebration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!