My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

For Writing's Sake

I've been working on a short story. It links a trip I took to my Great-Grandmother's hometown in Missouri to a fictional tale of her meeting her best friend Maureen as a young girl. I was spurred by a writing contest in my state that was open to my students and decided to write alongside those interested in joining the fun. I've never entered a short story contest. It is a bit outside of my writing comfort zone if I have one of those. I've struggled and still struggle to find the story. I've written many little scenes and I'm not really sure I'll finish in time to submit the story I hoped would come but either way, I hope I finish it "enough" to send it regardless.

When I began writing slices many years ago, it is what opened me to the idea of how difficult and how simple writing can be. I wrote little pieces of my day. I wrote about experiences in the classroom. I found stories. What I'm finding now is that searching for stories in my daydreams is more challenging. It's a good stretch for me and has reminded me that I need to write small if I am ever going to write big.

Some might say that writing for an educational audience, like the one that comes with being a co-author at Two Writing Teachers, is writing big. It is big. It allows words I've thought, said, and written to be read. However, I have always believed that the best words are often the ones that begin for ourselves. I'm wandering back to those woods. It's chilly there but welcoming, and eventually, I'll be warmed again by the swirl of ideas that come from writing. Writing long and short. Writing for writing's sake.


6 comments:

  1. So many true and wise words about writing in this slice Betsy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're going back to your writing roots, Betsy. It's an important place to (re)visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this musing about writing. Great reminders: "I need to write small if I am ever going to write big." "The best words are often the ones that begin for ourselves" I hope you will finish your short story in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "However, I have always believed that the best words are often the ones that begin for ourselves."

    This is a great reminder of what writing is all about: writing for ourselves, writing to keep our sanity, and most of all, writing to tell a story, sometimes ours, sometimes our characters. Thank you for this slice. It's good to keep grounded in what makes writing great. Good luck with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing for writing sake is the absolute best - it is a gift to oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful slice! I hope you finished your short story! I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!