My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, March 5, 2018

Click, Click, Click

Last night I was reading and commenting on slices while sitting in bed. It was late and my fingers were flying around on the keyboard as usual. My husband was next to me reading and I hadn't even noticed that he had begun staring at my hands.
Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the look on his face. I kept going. Then I noticed it again. I stopped.

"Is everything okay?" I asked with probably a pinched up look on my face-I was tired at this point so cut me some slack.
"Your hands are so...fast. Like, how are you even doing that?" His bewildered tone was humorous.

My husband and I grew up in the same town, went to the same school, and occasionally had classes together. In our high school, there was a typing class on super cool typewriters. Computers were few and far between at that time in the 90's, and word processors were probably still too expensive (but I seem to remember there might have been a few if you got lucky).

So my response to his question was, "I had typing in high school! So did you, don't you remember? We had a great typing teacher."
Then he says, "Um, that was an elective, I never took typing."
Insert my gasp in response to this revelation!
"WHAT? Why didn't you take typing? It was a great class, and I'm pretty sure my parents told me it was required, which now that I think about it might have just been their requirement, which by the way I am extremely thankful if it was because clearly, it paid off!" Insert breath, because that was a lot to say in one inhale.

To which launched a full-on discussion of all the classes we took in high school, electives, and memories. It was a fun conversation. It's fun being married to someone you have a lot of history with but that you didn't necessarily make all that history with. We were friends pretty much all through high school but didn't actually begin dating until the last month or two of my senior year, and he was already in college at that point. We have so many connections to different people and experiences. It's always fun and interesting to compare notes.

As far as typing, he needs more practice.



9 comments:

  1. I love your last line - that slightly sarcastic tone was a perfect match to the upbeat and positive tone of the rest of the post. How awesome that you have such history - Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell people all the time that the two most practical classes I took in high school were typing and sewing. I don't sew often anymore, although I saved a ton of money not paying to have patches sewn on to to my uniforms during a 21-year military career. Typing (I'm sorry, keyboarding), though? What a skill to have; I cringe when I see adults using two fingers at a computer. Like yours, my typing class clearly paid off! Thanks for sharing your memories, and thanks for not being too hard on your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you can share that much history, but still don't know everything about each other. Also, I think there should still be keyboarding classes. They'd be really helpful to so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I would have done without my typing class in high school. 1986. IBM Selectric typewriters.
    My oldest was lucky enough to have a keyboarding class in junior high. She might type faster than me.
    My younger one? Not so much.. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last line made me laugh. My hubby and I have had similar conversations. I also remember watching my mom's hands fly over the typewriter (yep, us too)and thinking that I would never be able to type that fast. Now, I catch my kids watching my hands and saying the same things. The difference is they are learning to type in elementary school, whereas I began in late middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took typing in high school, too, but I never got very fast. The typewriters were huge, and manual. Now I have a blog idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post! I had a similar experience with typing class and my husband and I were in the same high school graduating class. We started dating about the time of prom the last month of high school.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!