My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Full Circle Hippo

When I was six years old, it was discovered that I had a type of inguinal hernia that had likely been present since birth. I don't recall any of the doctor appointments that ultimately led to surgery, but I do remember the day of surgery in some pieced out details.

*          *          *           *            *

When we arrived at the hospital, we were directed to follow the yellow line to the waiting area. I recall thinking it was amazing there was a line on the floor, and was it put there just for me? Did they know I didn't know where to go?

My parents and I sat in the waiting room for a few minutes when someone came and asked me if I would like to go to the playroom. I was eager to see it. I had my own teddy bear, Cindy, with me, and I was excited to show her the playroom. After I was there for a few minutes, a nice lady came into the room and asked me to drink a small cup of clear fluid. She said it tasted like a candy cane. I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of strong peppermint flavor, but this was not the taste of a candy cane. It was something horrible masked with a burning mint aftertaste that barely resembled anything with "candy" in the name. I remember feeling duped, suddenly wondering what else would be experienced differently than communicated.

My next memory is being in a hospital gown and thinking it was a bit scratchy but different from anything I had, so, therefore, it was cool. I also got a really cool hat just like the nurses, AND they let Cindy come into the operating room right on the gurney. I held my mom's hand until I didn't, and then she got further and further away.

When they moved me from the gurney to the bed where my surgery would take place, I remember being much more scared than I had been prior. There were a lot of people around me, and the man standing over my head told me to start counting as he placed a mask over my face. I remember him getting to three.

When I woke up in the recovery room, I was confused. The room felt blurry, and I couldn't move. I looked to my right and saw a man lying there, sleeping on the bed next to me, and I also started to wonder where Cindy had gone. Moments later, I began hearing loud noises and people running around the room. I looked to my right again and no longer could see the man but instead several people around him doing something. I don't know if I made a noise or someone just noticed me, but almost immediately, a woman was standing right in my gaze with a beautiful smile on her face welcoming me awake. She also had Cindy in her hand. I was so comforted in that moment of confusion and concern.

When I was able to be reunited with my parents, they had a little something to give me for being so brave. It was a small grey stuffed hippo. It was the cutest little hippo I'd ever seen, and I name him Hernie. He sat on a ledge in my bedroom for the remaining years of my childhood. Then he lived in a trunk of mementos. Not too long ago, I gave him to my daughter, and two days ago, I found him in the back of her closet. Just two days before what would be my second hernia operation.

So, today I was able to take Hernie to my operation, he stayed in my purse, but he was there, and he was a comfort while we drove the 40 minutes to the hospital early this morning and I held him in my hands. Now he's sitting next to me while I recover at home.




5 comments:

  1. Prayers for quick healing. This is a writing activity that Jared Reck, author of "A Short History of the Girl Next Door" did with us at our fall conference. He teaches 8th ELA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, prayers are being lifted now for a quick recovery, Betsy. May Hernie be a constant reminder that "You Got This!" The community is behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a smooth recovery. Even as adults those stuffed animals can be a comfort in stressful times, especially one that has come full circle like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a welcome full circle moment, I'm sure, but I'm glad Hernie was there for you! I hope the experience this time was less scary. Speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Hernie has brought you some comfort, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!