My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Two Drafts Sit Waiting



It's funny. Well, maybe it's not funny. Maybe it's cowardice. Maybe it's fear. I'm not really sure. Maybe it's that when I put a message into the world I want to be sure it matches with my beliefs as they currently reside in my brain. Maybe that's it.
A week or two ago I wrote a politically charged slice of life story. Then I decided it wasn't a good idea. Today, all day, I've been writing and re-writing this message about educators and the role of passion in our practice. I may have gotten it right, but I don't think so. Then I begin to think, does it matter if I got it right? What would I tell my students?
I'm one of those people who really likes having face to face conversations, debates, and respectful arguments that challenge my thinking and the people I'm faced with. I like this kind of engagement. I don't like reading messages that seem emotionally charged and off base, misinformed, or shared merely as bait. I don't comment on these. I don't get myself wrapped up in arguments that feel one-sided.
Then I think, in terms of posting heavy opinions here, maybe this is me over-analyzing things. For one, very few people will likely read it, and since when do I care what people think? That's just it though. I might be unsure of my role at this moment. Am I a voice or am I a listener? Am I an activist or am I a coordinator? Well...I'm neither really of those second two. Maybe I need to venture out of my comfort a bit more. Little has stopped me in the past. Not sure why I find it so hard now.

5 comments:

  1. I hear you. I do this too. I have some drafts that just sit there, because I'm unsure. I'd love to read the slices you are unsure of though! Your voice is important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please share your voice. Different perspectives are SO important... But know that this is exactly what I think too...Thank you for reminding me that I am not the only one who has this fear. I almost always write in my notebook first, and sometimes I write several "seed ideas" before I get it to Blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I've been there before too. I doubt, I question, I think: Who am I to add my voice? But I had my mom and a trusted friend read the post before going live to get their feedback to be sure I wasn't offending anyone or using too strong of language. Perhaps this is an idea ... because we do have important things to say -- and maybe others do need to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's time to set aside your fear and put it out there! I like Michelle's advice of having a trusted friend read it and give feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there are varying opinions out there...that's what makes this place great (does that sound Trump-ish? Ugh, I didn't mean for it to! Whoops, now there's MY opinion!)! :) People will always have opinions about a topic, but as long as the conversation is respectful, I think it's okay for those to agree to disagree. Many prolific people came about because of their ability to say something that others, perhaps, were not ready for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!