My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Unexpected Time

Yesterday, on my way home from a day of professional development, I was listening to the radio. I heard about a winter weather advisory. I didn't think much of it until they said wintry mix. My hope rose a bit for a snow day but I buried it away.

That's so unlikely. No one even whispered of a chance for a snow day. It can't be possible.

It was supposed to begin snowing around seven p.m. As I left to pick up my son from driver's training there was barely a flake in the air. However, by the time he drove us home, it was a windy whispy blizzard of sparkly flakes. My hope rose again.

Could it be? So much in such a short time! I'm sure it will be done early and cleaned up by morning.

At 3;30 this morning I woke up and tossed around a bit. I replayed parts of my past week. My mind didn't race but I couldn't turn it off either. I tried singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" over and over again in my head, which I think worked eventually. Then around 5:00, I heard the plow go by. All hope was gone. If a plow was going down our road already, the main roads must be clear, meaning back roads and side streets are going to be prepped for the day.

Fifteen more minutes...alarm, off.
Five more minutes...alarm, off.

I picked up my phone, to which I realized my ringer had been turned off, and a notification awaited A mistake only a rookie would make! What was I thinking! 

"School is closed for the day due to bad road conditions," I read. Then the messages started rolling in and I rolled back over.


5 comments:

  1. The possibility teased us twice last week, but we didn’t even get a delay! You captured the waiting, delaying morning tactics so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this! But no snow days for this grandma. I had son-in-law pick me up on his way home from work and then I slept over so I wouldn't have to drive the snowy roads. Grandson loved waking up to Grandma on the blow up mattress. We snuggled a bit before getting up for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you were able to go back to sleep!

    Yay for an unexpected snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post about tentative hope! Glad you got your snow day. It's been awhile since we had one here in central TX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of snow days as such a gift. We've only had one so far this year, but I'm hoping for one in March when my daily, er, resolve starts to falter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!