My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, June 10, 2024

Thoughts at the Table

It's the first Monday after school is out and I find myself at a table of colleagues for a leadership conference. Truthfully, I was not mentally prepared for the silliness that consumed the first hour or two and found myself checking out a bit. It wasn't the presenters fault, their energy was celebratory, kind of cheesy, and there were many attempts at metaphors--like literally wearing a life jacket to make a point. It was likely very similar to my seventh graders feelings when I am enthusiastic about something and they are completely over it. 

To calm my pretty unreasonable frustration I went back a to a poem I found a few days ago. The poem I shared for the call to slices today at TWT. I copied it down and then continued to write as I listened to one speaker, change to another. It helped me feel productive and also calmed my mind a bit. 


thoughts at the table

Sitting and imagining the sun, the water, the rain.

It brings me to a place that feels

comforting

known

understood. 

Where I've been

and 

where I'm going. 

Writing my message to the world

I'm finally hearing words that 

resonate

feel warm

relevant.

The abrasive switched to smooth.

Knowledge for knowledge's sake

and not for 

performance.



5 comments:

  1. Writing can make so many things better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honesty of this slice. You didn't have to tell us where you were when you wrote this but you did. And I agree with Erika. Writing can make things better. I'll remember your hack the next time I need to settle my thoughts. Thanks for sharing A Sunstroke and your poem today! Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just need to write, and I agree with Sally and Erika above — it makes it better … great hack, actually. Also a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great line "the abrasive switched to smooth".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to the initial sense of disconnect you felt at the conference, when the celebratory tone and metaphorical approach didn't quite resonate. It's understandable to feel frustrated when the energy doesn't match your own mindset in the moment. (You're wise to compare it to how students sometimes feel when we're energized and they aren't.)

    I'm impressed by how you were able to reground yourself through the power of poetry. Turning to that familiar piece allowed you to shift your perspective, find center, and connect with the substance of the speakers' messages.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!