My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, June 11, 2012

Attempted Outlining


I wrote that title and thought, it sounds like attempted murder, then I thought of  a chalk outline....(insert chuckle here)! Chalk-A-Bration is June 30th!

Mini-Lesson Monday has me writing an outline for a project. Sally Wilkins is inspiring me this morning with her insights and ideas on Kate Messner's blog for Teacher's Write, virtual summer camp!
As I began the list below (my form of an outline at this point in time for research) it was inspired by my many uncertainties with teaching reading to children who have very little or no experience with this rather large animal. I struggle with this. I now understand a little better where my frustration is coming from. I struggle with this because it doesn’t feel right. So, what do I do now?

My intent was to outline what I know about one idea in the area of early readers. What I found out is I just don’t know a lot!
What’s Age got to do with it?
Why is it that some children learn to read at the age of three and others at the age of seven?
Boys/girls, what is it about gender?
Where has shared reading gone? Is it a dying animal or is it standards that have shoved it into a closet?
How do you foster enjoyment with leveled reading? (Shared reading used to do this, where did that go again, I thought it was just here)?
How do you measure boredom? Is anyone really bored, is boredom bad? I tell my son when he is bored that it is wonderful because people do their best thinking when they are bored—yeah I get a big sigh out of that one!
How do you measure so many things? Why must I measure so many things? OH—because I am building something, well that makes sense. I am building a reader so I need to know how the boards fit together, what needs to be sanded and where I need an extra nail…get me a tool box!
Assessment, monitoring, how do you appease the testing gods who dictate?
How much of a roll does motivation play? Everything! (The longest one word answer ever).
How do I move past what is on grade level, and move toward, fostering a journey?

How do I answer all these question?

I am obviously at a point where I need more information. I sat down this morning with the hope that I could get started on a topic of research that would work for me, something I would want to read. There will always be more questions than answers, but the opinions are what get me. I often feel like I am running on opinions, are they mine? Are they my colleagues? Who do they belong to? Where did they come from, and how much of this is what is driving my teaching? Great, more questions.
I want to exist in a bath of facts and the only way to do that is to live, read and practice. Hmmmm….that sounds like it might take FOREVER! (That was for my daughter who lives in the world of forever, always and never, you know this world if you have ever been in a room with a child for more than five minutes). I feel a little bit like throwing a tantrum because I want to organize my thoughts, I want to write a piece that will move people including myself and yet I don’t feel ready.  

1 comment:

  1. Amy Rudd • 1 day ago
    I think it's ok to not be ready...it will come...It reminds me of a six word memoir I have read, "Looked for answers, found more questions". Maybe your book will have to do with questions...So, you want to grow a reader? It will come, don't worry. Sometimes the what's cooking needs to simmer longer.
    Looking foward to the next chalk-a-bration!

    Betsy 24p • 1 day ago
    That sounds about right! Thanks for the words of wisdom.

    Robin • 1 day ago
    I like Amy's thoughts here about a title...so you want to grow a reader? I would totally buy that book...as long as it followed it up with "here is what you do.". I think maybe you are onto something good though. You tell your son that people do their best thinking when they are bored. I think people also do their best thinking when they have questions that they are trying to seek out answers for. I think you are onto something great! Keep going...I will buy it!

    Betsy 24p • 1 day ago
    Wouldn't that be a catchy title? I am thinking article size right now and I personally would like answers so maybe I can figure some things out! Thanks for always encouraging me.

    Linda Baie • 1 day ago
    I agree with Robin & Amy. I will be doing my own research into those questions this summer Betsy because I'm going to be mentoring three primary teachers next year & I need to learn more in order to help them.

    Have you a few PD books that might give some answers? Do you belong to the International Reading Association? Its brief articles might be a good starting point for research. And Stenhouse (a great blog too) or Heinemann Publishing Companies have marvelous resources. Or there is an online site I pay for, but some of it is free & you can search, or you can subscribe for a weekly newsletter. It's called Choice Literacy & is wonderful. Two Writing Teachers, Mary Lee Hahn (A Year of Reading) & others like Franki Sibberson all write for this site. Hope that's not too, too much, Betsy. You can pick & choose what looks like you're looking for.

    Betsy 24p • 1 day ago
    This all sounds great. Thank you so much for the resource info, I am not a member of IRA but saw that recently on Michelle's page. Thanks so much for giving me a push to find more, it is always good, and there can't be too much because the best thing might be the next thing I find!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!