My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Slice of Mary Oliver



I started reading New and Selected Poems Volume One By Mary Oliver this week. I have had the book since summer but didn't pick it up until recently. I really enjoy Mary Oliver's work. I have read two of her books previously and find her style of writing poetry quite fascinating, beautiful and something to aspire to. Her words are quite lovely, dark at times, but true and real. Tonight I went back to one of the poems I marked. I felt warmed by it and a bit more centered. I thought this might speak to you as well.


The Sun

Have you ever seen
anything
in your life
more wonderful

than the way the sun,
every evening,
relaxed and easy,
floats toward the horizon


...click here to read the rest

The last two stanzas are what speak loudest to me:


as you stand there,
empty-handed--
or have you too
turned from this world--

or have you too
gone crazy
for power,
for things?

Certainly gives us something to think about doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. The exuberant expansiveness of her spirit in this poem is breathtaking, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this poem. Now I want to go read all the Mary Oliver I can find. It makes me think about how we are given so much, yet we don't always pause to take it all in. Loved the last lines you shared.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take something from her poems every single time, Betsy. It's a beautiful poem/lesson/message. I just bought her latest, Dog Songs, need to open it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Linda - I take something new from her every time. Thanks for highlighting one of hers that I'm not as familiar with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!