My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

My Inner Beatrix

I've said before I want to be Beatrix Potter when I grow up. For as long as I can remember, I've longed for pet ducks, bunnies, and acres of land to paint or portray with words. One of the few movies/shows we played on DVD for my son when he was four years old. 
Down the hall, the seventh-grade science teacher has been incubating duck eggs. I've checked on them, wondering and waiting if they will hatch. We've held the light up to them, checking fullness. Over the weekend, he sent these photos out to all staff. 
We had three babies!


By the end of the day today, there were six! I spent a long time at the end of the day holding the four that had been hatched for more than a couple days. Two of them were still fluffing and gaining strength. Their little bills were nibbling and peeping. I was instantly in love and trying to imagine a pond in my backyard and waddling on summer days. 
Reality tells me now is not the time, so I'll enjoy the ducklings and cuddle them in between classes.



3 comments:

  1. Betsy, how precious! I love these sweet ducklings. Your "inner Beatrix" allusion is appreciated and fun. I hope you meant that "now is not the time," but someday there will be a time. It would be lovely for you to have them in a pond waddling around all summer. For now, enjoy them in the science classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ducklings are just adorable. I love holding them, too, but just know if you decide to get one, they root like pigs. We bought our kids two and kept them in the backyard and they tore up the entire back yard rooting. Maybe they wouldn't with a pond nearby...lol Your story brought back great duck memories, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! These ducklings are adorable.
    Ari's class had ducklings and the photos of the kids cradling the newborn ducklings was beyond precious. New life is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!