My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Whistling Through Wednesday

This morning on the way to work I found myself whistling a song I don't know the name of nor the artist, but I know it repeats the word "impossible" over and over again. I had to chuckle at this because that is how the next few weeks of this school year are going to feel at times. IMPOSSIBLE, yet possible. To top this off, I am getting some strong messages recently. Linda's post from yesterday. This quote in an email from a colleague today.
 "You can lengthen the school year, test every other week, narrow the curriculum, raise the standards, or use any other strategy you can think of to restructure schools. The fact remains, what matters most is the relationship between one student and one teacher."
Chick Moorman and Thomas Haller
From The Teacher Talk Advantage
I reached into my sticky note box to retrieve a new pack and pulled out sticky notes that read:
"Just for Today....Be Happy"

I found myself giving the, if you have a choice between being cruel or kind, choose to be kind (much like the message given in the book Wonder, by R.J. Palacio) to my students. They seemed to pay attention to this statement and I found I liked saying it as well. It was calmer and more suitable than some of the words I wanted to say today, so for today, I was happy. I think tomorrow will bring impossible happiness too, if I choose it!

1 comment:

  1. Robin • 3 weeks ago
    I agree with the impossible, yet possible thought. The last weeks of school are often as ridiculously demanding as the first few weeks of school, at least they are in kindergarten. The sticky note thought came at a good time for me today. As I read this, the thought went through my mind again, as it usually does at this time of year, some of my kids are acting "this way" because they have wonderful summer plans to look forward to (like me!). But others, and this is the group that always breaks my heart, are dreading the end of the school year. These are the kids that would rather have the stability and routine and regular meals and love that they only get at school. Imagine what those little hearts are feeling at this time of year. For them, the end of the year is looming, dark, unhappy. So, for those kids, I oerter it to them to be happy and make the classroom happy for as long as I have them. I will do everything in my power to make them be happy...Just for today, and the rest of the today's we have left together. Thanks for inspiring me today!

    Linda Baie • 2 weeks ago
    Between you, Betsy, and Robin, it does my heart good. For entirely different reasons, many of our students are sad when school ends too. They spend lots of time moving from day camp to day camp, & maybe their parents will take a break & just let them stay home. So we too at school want to make these days as happy as possible, with much celebration of accomplishments and community 'last' things. Thanks for the link to my blog, Betsy. I guess we could say that choosing to be happy is not 'impossible'!

    Maureen • 2 weeks ago
    Thank you for the gift of this quote. I know in my heart that this is what is important - the relationship between child and teacher. Wow, how this gets lost as we try to tie up the loose ends at the end of the year! Your post is a "HAPPY" reminder - we can choose this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!