My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Honk from Behind


I began teaching in 2001 in an inner-city school. It wasn't until 2003 that we moved and I was hired to teach in a more rural district. I was realizing today that in my sixteen plus years as a teacher I have worked with four different superintendents and five principals. This is probably typical, and honestly, I think my husband has me beat. 

My current superintendent is in his second year within our district. I haven't been able to engage in many one-on-one conversations with him but what I will say is I have seen many interactions between him and students. It can be difficult to feel like you and a colleague or your leadership are on the same page, share the same beliefs about learning, unpack information in the same interpretive ways, or trust each other the way you should. It takes really knowing someone, and that can be difficult in a school setting if you are always under your own pile of "things to do." What I do know is actions, as many of us would believe, often offer more insight than an inspiring word or the latest jargon. Our superintendent, since he began, is present in our building multiple times each week. One of his most frequent reasons to visit is to stand in our parking lot as cars pull up to drop off kids. He opens doors, shakes hands, closes trunks, puts backpacks on kids, picks up dropped mittens, and most of all he smiles. He waves at the school buses, engages in chit-chat with the parents before they drive off, and is purposeful in all of these actions. 
On Friday, I received an all-staff email that included the following:

Opening car doors at FPE in the mornings, I have started noticing flocks of geese returning to their summer home. Here are some thoughts about what we can learn from geese: 
As each bird flaps its wings, it creates uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in V formation the whole flock adds about 71% greater flying range that if each bird flew on his own.People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going more quickly and easily because they are traveling on the thrust of another.When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels a drag and resistance of trying to go it alone…and quickly…gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.If we have as much sense as a goose we will stay in formation with those who are headed in the same way we are.When the Head Goose gets tired it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.It is sensible to take turns doing demanding jobs…with people or with geese flying south.Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.What do we say when we honk from behind?Finally, and this is important, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshots, and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies, and only then do they launch out, on their own, or with another formation, to catch up with their group.If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand together like that.

I responded with appreciation and requested to share it. He explained that not all the connections originated with him, but he had used it some thirty years ago.

Making comparisons is kind of how I wrap my head around understandings. I am always comparing ideas to something that might seem more tangible when talking to kids. As I read this and have been thinking about it, the one that resonates the most with me is geese honk from behind to share encouragement. Teachers, leaders, and educators everywhere are in need of encouragement. Intentionally noticing the niches of our colleagues and encouraging them to go farther is so important. Being passionate and excited as a teacher is what gets me through tough days. I am able to roll on my own momentum a bit. It's even better when I feel encouraged.

Knowing this bit of information will give me a smile the next time I see a v-formation and hear the honking. I might give my own little silent cheer to the lead goose.


1 comment:

  1. I'm in love with this slice. Thank you for sharing this important message. It's one I needed to hear, one I would love for my colleagues to take to heart. Maybe I need to do more honking. Maybe we all do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!