My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Cut Short

My youngest and I went on a walk with Cassie tonight. As we started down the driveway I could hear shuffling behind us. 

"Jane--Chubs--Now!"

The stocky and sturdy dog that thinks it wants to be friends with Cassie was in our driveway. Jane sprung into action.

"Chubs! Hiiiii Chubs. How are you doing? Were you waiting for us?"

I quickly got Cassie down the driveway and out of "Chubs" reach. I should clarify, we've given the dog the name Chubs. It's a term of endearment. 

Jane ran to catch up as Chubs walked away, satisfied with the belly rubs. 

"And how was Chubs tonight?"

"Happy as always. Okay, so down to the circle and back?" Jane was pleading. 

"NO, we are going all the way to the school and back."

"OH MY GOSH. I'm too tired and my legs hurt."

"I need a good walk tonight and you do too."

As we continued walking, laughing, and talking, we were only halfway to the school when I noticed two dogs running around in a neighbors yard just ahead. I didn't recognize the dogs and I could assume they had an invisible fence, but I wasn't in the mood. Cassie had finally settled into the walk and this was going to derail it for sure. 

Pausing, Jane and I exchanged glances.

"Okay, that's it. We're turning around."

"YES!" 

"Go find Chubs."



2 comments:

  1. A fun slice of every day life with dogs! Our dog has similar instincts - wants to eat small dogs and play with big dogs. Living in a neighborhood, sometimes we have to do reconnaissance to make sure the path is clear and take evasive action to avoid getting taken for a ride.

    Your description of Chubs and the conversation were a fun delight as I settled in and figured out what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your slice reminds me of why I can't ever get a dog even if I ever find one that is truly hypo-allegenic for the entire family. I don't think I could handle all of the other dog-related encounters that would arise while walking said hypo-allernic dog. I doubt I'd ever be able to navigate a walk with a Chubs-like dog (or any other dog) as well as you and Janie did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!