My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Grounded

Grounded. 

A multi-meaning word. 
As a kid, a word we feared. It was silly for me to fear it, but I did. 
"Betsy, you are so lucky your parents don't believe in grounding you," as my best neighbor friend hauled her bike to the garage wall. Grounded from her bike, two weeks. This punished me too. So, yeah, I was afraid of the word. 

Grounded. 
A word of hope and sensibility. A pure possibility seems available when someone is grounded. So settled and unfurrowed. So wise and ready. Unshakable. 

Grounded.
What I needed to do today. The kind of grounding I needed to seek because my awareness of reality was shaken. My heart beat in my head. Doors clashed like lightning. The sting behind my eyes slowed down sound and motion. I needed to get outside. I needed the actual ground to feel grounded, settled, aware. 

I pushed the lightning doors into the glass iced light. The brightness only distracted by the screams. Screams of recess, five and six-year-olds chasing and racing. I stopped to chat with one or two, slowly making my way to the woods behind the building. Ice patches everywhere; I feared falling. I wanted no attention. I wanted solace. I wanted to touch the dirt. 
I walked.
Some of my steps the first, some of them the second. Patches of frozen decay poked from below while bits of new life were already surfacing. 
Reminders. 
Something new can always come from something gone. 
I walked. 
I smelled. 
I breathed. 
I blinked. 
Hands in my pockets then out, I knelt to find a stick. Something to take with me, to keep with me, to ground me even when I can't come to the woods. 

The whistle blew—time to head back. Back to my room, with my stick in hand. 








 

9 comments:

  1. Wow. Wow. That was so powerful. I need to reread it again and again. This is one I will print and return to for topic, me, and craft. Stay grounded - see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare. It’s amazing how anxiety can produce feelings so deep and tall they spill out. It felt good to write it.

      Delete
  2. I long for moments outdoors -- alone, with my husband, or students. Teaching remotely all year this just isn't happening as often as I'd like. Longing to feel grounded again. Hoping spring gets here soon to help. Thank you for taking me along with you, Betsy. I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outdoor Therapy truly is the best kind of therapy! I enjoyed your slice. Well, except for the one teepee of sticks that reminded me of the Blair Witch Project. Lol Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your writing and the photographs. The emphasis on the word 'grounded' with its different meanings, the mix of genre also made the slice catchy. The line I will hold onto is "Something new can always come from something gone," this is so powerful and could be the prompt to an interesting piece of writing. Thanks for 'walking, smelling, breathing, blinking' and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful moment captured by your writing. Isn't it amazing how nature can ground us and make us feel whole again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that you took us with you - both with your written visuals and your actual included visuals.

    I also appreciated that you started with an anecdote that set the tone for the rest of the slice. Your friend being grounded punished you as well. It didn't seem fair or make sense to you at the time, and then today you described yourself as "my awareness of reality was shaken". You then and you now could relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the fascination with words and how different ones have different meanings, sometimes according to memories, sometimes otherwise. Beautifully crafted and love the photos to round everything off!.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!