My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Friday, March 12, 2021

You're Muted

Today I was planning to take my class on a field trip through our school building. A handful of students are coming back to in-person learning in different classrooms, and it had been a while since I had ventured out with the class live. It seemed like a good day to do take a walk. 

I thought I would get students started on a color, cut, glue activity to work on while I walked around and talked to different people. I also wanted to show students where their grown-ups could pick up the little libraries to keep at home. 

We started our morning meeting singing, dancing, and whipping through our routines. Then I said, "It's time!" I could see all the excitement in their faces. I opened up the meeting on my phone and pinned it to my computer screen presentation so the kids would have a big view of our adventure. 

When I opened the meet on my phone, I made sure to turn down my volume to avoid the inevitable echo. When all seemed set and ready, I jumped out of my chair and started toward the door. 

I narrated the entire trip. 

Oh, look, here is a first-grade classroom. 

Hi Mr. Luna! Wave to my class!

There's Mrs. Hisler, everyone! Mrs. Hisler, say hello to my class. 

She waves and says hello. 

I then made my way to our curriculum director/lit coach to get a wave from her and the counselor. I had full conversations with each of them, introducing the kids and talking about reading month. My enthusiasm was at a high level!

Walking back to the classroom, I let everyone know we would settle back in to wrap up our meeting.

As I came around to my desk, once again, I was met with a grid of faces. However, they looked less than thrilled. 

And then it hit me--

Kinders, was I muted that whole time?

Nods of sad faces. 

I am so sorry. 

My head dropped. 

Deep breath. 

So, how about we try this again on Wednesday and now that I made that mistake, I won't make it again! 



7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea and oh no to being muted. I giggled but also I'm sorry. We are all doing our best Betsy. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! We can all relate to that in some way; you are not alone in the land of Zoom/Meet blunders. That was just a dress rehearsal. Next time will be so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how many times I intended to video or I said something I deemed brilliant where the tech didn’t work or I had forgotten something and then I spent a silly amount of time beating myself up about it. It happens. Give yourself grace- the kids do! Next time it’ll work beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. You are not alone. Kudos to you for your enthusiasm, and here's to a successful do over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so sad! This was a great idea - and I am sure they will be excited to try again. So much planning - maybe you can see what they remember from their silent trip as you move to chat with folks again. Maybe a bit of a game before you head out again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the at home grandma to a remote kinder, I totally can see this happening. I am reminded regularly that she/they have no idea of a main office, gym, music room, lunch room....next year (hopefully) will be a big shock/change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This is absolutely worth a do-over. I am so sorry that this happened - another anecdote to share with the grandkids one day, about the stressful times during the pandemic! Oh my, oh my. It is an EXCELLENT virtual field trip idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!