My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Saturday, March 2, 2024

NYT Word Puzzlers: Day 2





I do the Wordle, Connections, and the Mini Crossword from the New York Times daily. It's something I look forward to, and it is also a friendly competition between my husband, our youngest, and me. We sometimes will help each other, depending on how desperate we are. But more often, we say things like, "Did you do the mini yet?" or "Did you get Connections?"
Connections, the puzzle of 16 words that fall into four categories of sorts, has been borderline silly. Some of the categories have left us all scratching our heads.
 
I felt very validated in my frustration when I started seeing videos from someone on TikTok named adamjohn (@adamj0hn20).

He is much more frustrated with the NYT puzzles than I was, but the issues he was having were similar to mine. For instance, a category that is animals spelled backward seems desperate. Like Adam, I began to question those who determined the direction of these puzzles. Then, I realized I could play and enjoy when I win and move on when I lose. Do I really care that much? I mean, for a moment, I do. Then, I move on with my day.

If you are a NYT word game player, check out his videos. They are good for a laugh.


9 comments:

  1. My husband plays the NYT puzzles too. I love your line about realizing that you can play and enjoy when the win happens, and move on when it doesn't. I'll be thinking of you when I see my husband working on the games tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do Wordle or Connections but I'm obsessed with Spelling Bee, the Mini and Flashback. I learn so many things from doing all these puzzles and I love that they connect me with friends who do them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out his videos! My sister and I share our Connections and Wordle scores long distance, and we were both cracking up over "animals spelled backwards." My husband and I do the Minis, and it drives him up the wall that I am so fast. I get annoyed if the mini takes me more than 30 seconds and horrified if it takes me more than a minute. I really want to get back into solving the full NYT Crossword every day. That was always a great challenge, but I never feel like I have enough time to tackle the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Flashback. That's a new one for me. I'll have to look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Connections...it sounds intriguing though! I've just recently started doing the NYT mini and regular crosswords, but I don't do them every day. I'll do them in spurts, usually on the weekends. I've not done Wordle yet, but I do know what it is. Many of my colleagues do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the friendly family banter and connection you hint at here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ari and I play connections together in the mornings before he goes to school. (He's not old enough to compete independently -- yet.) Like you, I'm often scratching my head at some of the categories. I never do well when it's one of these ____+WORD or a word minus a letter. Those confound me!
    Often, I get green or blue first. Why do I miss the yellow category? I DO NOT KNOW.

    Speaking of NYT Puzzles, have you tried Vertices yet? Ari is obsessed with that one, but it isn't available on his NYT Puzzles app on his iPad so he has to play it on my phone. They are TRICKY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom and I also connect over some of the NYT games. Vertex is my favorite though who even knows why. Some of the Connections categories definitely have me scratching my head, but I enjoy the silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a puzzler, after reading this I'm wishing I had access to the NYT puzzles. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!