My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Thursday, March 7, 2024

White Lie: Day 7

It's March, meaning most schools across the country celebrate "March is Reading Month" in many different ways. One way my school is trying to inspire excitement around reading month is with spirit days across the month. We have Pajama Day (snuggle up with a book), Read a Shirt Day (wear a shirt with words), and today, we had White Lie Day. This is when students wear a white shirt (or a piece of paper taped to their shirt) with a white lie. I saw all kinds of silly ones today. 

For instance:

"I have perfect attendance."

"I'm the tallest one in my class."

"I'm a morning person."

"I'm quiet."

I thought I'd put a white lie on my shirt that is truly untrue for me and might inspire conversations about writing as well as reading. 

It's a phrase I hear often from twelve and thirteen-year-old students and work to change. Many of them are still finding their way through adolescence, and their moods often get in their way. Today, I got a few laughs and eye rolls from my students. 

I made an attempt at a small orange slice. T-shirt writing is tricky. 



3 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I absolutely love this concept for spirit day...perhaps an invitation to share something silly about yourself. Glad you got adventurous/spirited and joined in the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also inspired by the literacy infused spirit days. What a great way to teach the idiom of white lie too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of white lie day! And yours is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!