My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, March 11, 2019

Aesthetic Experiences

It was an early start after two LONG days of learning, walking, and tossing through the night in a hotel bed. I was tired, achy, and uncertain of my ability to take on much more. However, my alarm sounded and I got up. I had to admit, as tired as I was, I was still eager to listen to Ellin Keene speak. I've never been in the same room with her before and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to want to miss a minute. 

I was right. 

One of the most fascinating parts of her conversation with us was about aesthetics. She said so many things, but this was what I am still thinking about:
"Who says we all have the same aesthetic experiences? What we find beautiful they may not."

I head into the remaining days of the week asking myself questions, "How can I find what might create an aesthetic experience for each of my students? What catalyst will I stumble upon unexpectedly? Will I notice when it happens?"

At this moment I've determined that it is more important to be asking the questions than having the answers.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how one experience is one way for someone but totally different for another? Love the last line in your post, Betsy! Sometimes the questions are more important than the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's an excellent point. I see this in my kids...what they see as beautiful is different among each of the four. Your question, "will I notice when it happens" is thought provoking. I guess that's really all we ever hope for, to notice and be able to do something about what we notice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the motivation to go hear her - she is amazing! I totally resonated with you -- I totally hit the PD wall. I do think it is more important to listen than have the answers - an inquiry stance engages them and give us the information we need. Thank you for sharing ... and I am glad I found you (so many slicers in March)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!