My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Unexpected Leisure

Tossing, turning.
Tossing, turning.

I could not sleep last night.
My daughter could not sleep last night.
My dog could not sleep last night.

So, we all seemed to toss and turn around through the night. We'd mumble out inaudible words to each other. We made attempts to help one another. If all three of us were awake, maybe we could help one of us. It worked off and on.

My alarm started at 5:00 a.m. I hit the snooze until 5:24 as I became hit with the realization this time I needed to be awake. Grabbing my robe, dog by my side, I headed to the back door through the darkness. I wondered if it was still raining as I opened the sliding glass door to see my backyard covered in a blanket of fog. I clipped a leash to my dog and wondered, Hmmm, a delay today would be too good to be true. I never miss those alerts. With impulsive hope, I checked my messages.

"We have a 2-hour fog delay today."

I had to read it three times. Was this really my most recent message? How could I be sure? Checking the date and time even though the evidence was right outside, I decided it must be true. All of those "snoozes" must have interfered with me interpreting an alert as opposed to an alarm. 

With that, I quickly made some lunches, did the dishes, and now I can be an early slicer for one day this month!

Now on with my leisurely morning.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, nice! An unexpected delay (did you say, 'fog delay')? Your lead captures this terrible night of non-sleep so well. Sorry you had it, though. Hope the day brings some joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried that someone would get really sick. Glad it was "only" a fog delay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On days like this, I like to think the Universe has sent what is needed--some down time for you after a restless night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gift! I loved those late starts and you had time to slice in the morning. Sorry you didn't sleep well. Hopefully tonight will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embrace this gift! Sometimes, we just need a little time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!