My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Nostalgic Rays

"Mom, what's nostalgia mean?"

My son asked me this question from the passenger seat on the way home from school tonight, and I was trying to find the right words to explain nostalgia. Fatigue was definitely making it difficult to find the right words.

"Well, I can't quite put my finger on a dictionary-like definition, but if I were to give you an example, it would be the feeling I get when I see you and Jane playing at the beach. We've been to the beach a bunch of times and often when we are there I think of when you were little. The place is sort of the same but you are both different, and I get a feeling of nostalgia or a longing for you to be small again. It's sort of a trigger I guess. I get nostalgic when something reminds me of a happy time in the past."

I glanced over to see his face. He seemed to be in deep thought.
"Any, particular reason you were thinking about it?" I asked him.

"Yeah, yesterday I went for a bike ride, and it was like I got a rush of all these feeling from the fall. I was thinking about how much fun it was to ride my bike in all the same places, and the fresh air was making my dopamine go crazy," he said, in an intelligently bewildered sort of way.

"Huh, I could see how that might happen, it's been a long time since you rode your bike. You sort of got a brief taste of freedom."

The sun has come out two days in a row in Michigan. I am feeling the same nostalgia my son is feeling. The longing for bright skies, breezy fresh air, and being outdoors.


4 comments:

  1. What a great conversation and fun to hear him sorting out words and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this conversation snippet centered around wondrous words! Wishing you warmer weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun came out two days in a row...and it's bringing interesting things out in many people...I think it's called happiness. ;) What a great conversation you two had! I love that instead of explaining and going back to your own thoughts, you stopped to ask why and got inside his heart for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a smart and clever kid! And I love the way you explained nostalgia. And his too! It's such a precious feeling and it's powerful that he can already recognize it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!