My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

"What's that Smell?"

Someone blew out a candle.
But
I didn't know.

I was sitting at the kitchen table, papers all over, highlighters, points, scores, blah. My head hurt. I was a bit cranky. Not a good combination going into the evening.

"Does anyone smell that? I smell heat. It smells like something melting, Can anyone hear me? Do you smell it?" I know my voice was a bit sharp. My words gained speed. I didn't wait for any responses I just kept yelling out questions.

"Um, I kind of smell crayon. Is that what you smell?" my daughter asked.

Then, from the front of the house, I hear, "I blew out a candle. It's fine," from my husband.

"Oh, good. I couldn't tell what that was, " I yelled back. I suddenly was breathing easier.

We don't typically light candles at my house anymore. It's an occasional thing but I'm usually fully aware of the candle. This time, not so much. That little whiff of smokey heat made me super alert and aware.

I've always had things that triggered certain memories. Songs that made me think about past summers. Clothes that make me remember smaller children. Photos, or the taste of foods. But smoke, heat, anything even remotely electrical in odor sends a rush of endorphins like I might need to run for my life. It is the oddest and most legitimate of feelings, but I am still caught off guard by it at times. 


3 comments:

  1. I know exactly that smell you speak of here and I respond almost exactly the same way. I get my sniffer going and don't stop until i've found a source. Glad to know that somebody else gets intense about the possibility of fire burning in her house like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally sense the difference between the intensity of your reaction and the calm replies of your your family. I also really like how you started with the three short lines of poetry. We all have our triggers, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy,
    I can't imagine how that moment felt. When I was in middle school our family had a small fire in our attic. Every once in awhile I can still smell that smell. I'm sure the relief to know the source was appreciated.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!