My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Timing and Preparation

Yesterday morning:

Yelling from the kitchen while putting on his shoes, “I’m going over!”
I respond back, “Okay, check in regularly, please. We have yard work to do today.”

I wondered how soon I’d see him. Would I have to be that mom again and yell his name for the whole neighborhood to hear? 

Nope. He was heading back already. They must be out of town.

My son, he’s thirteen, still loves to play outside. We’ve only just begun to have warm enough weather to be outside again let alone reconnect with the neighborhood kids. He had just been playing with the eleven-year-old down the street the other day. 

“That was fast!” I said. 
“He’s got the flu,” his eyebrows raised a bit when he said it. 
“Like influenza, the flu or someone called what he has the flu.” 
“I don’t know. His mom said the flu.”

Shawn and I exchange glances. He had his flu shot but we've been hearing this latest strain is unresponsive and stronger.

This could be bad. Do I text her and ask. Is that weird?

"Check her Facebook. Maybe she posted something," Shawn suggests.

I think it's probably unlikely I'll find an absolute answer, but then, right in front of me with a blue background and all, "Took him in to get tested, he's positive for Influenza A."

So now, not only did I feel weird about FB stalking to find out how sick my neighbor's kid was, I was trying not to immediately panic. 

As the day went on I watched a perfectly healthy kid pick up sticks, rake, and goof around in the yard. Then later in the afternoon, a tiny cough began. By nine in the evening, flush cheeks became visible and his temp went from 99.8 to 100.6 in about an hour before he went to bed. 

Time to mask up and prepare.




8 comments:

  1. Oh, Betsy, so sorry. As I read, I was hoping for a different outcome. I like how you used italics show your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kept me in suspense throughout the slice. I teetered back and forth wondering if he was going to show signs of sickness.
    You packed a punch with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! The flu seems to be making the rounds again. I do the same thing, use facebook to find out things without really asking too many questions. Hopefully he heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been seeing influenza diagnoses on fb. I am hoping this flu season ends with my family unscathed. The one experience I had with influenza makes me dread another bout. Good luck to you and your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Good luck with your kiddo! I loved reading this post- I felt the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so sorry! Hoping for a soeddy recovery for your son! I appreciate the caution and could feel the anxiousness in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, it is spreading quickly! My daughter’s fever began Friday morning and is still elevated today. Hoping she bounces back quickly and no one else in our home gets it. Best of luck on a speedy recovery for your son as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh NOOOOO! Megan and Alex both had the flu in January. Megan literally sneezed on my dad's birthday cake and brought the whole family down, except me. Currently, Megan's been running a fever since last Tuesday night. It's been a winter of illnesses. I hope your son feels better fast- the flu is awful. I hope you guys avoid it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!