My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Friday, March 6, 2020

34 Degrees

It's March. 
I know this for many reasons aside from "the calendar says so."
One reason became very clear this morning. 

rush rush rush
get your purse
grab your lunch
"kids? ready?"
shoes...
no not those
yes, there they are
where's my coat
no
no
OH, I forgot it at school
[opens door, shoves hand outside]
I'll be fine
[walks out the door, gets in car]

It's 34 degrees outside.
It feels warm, balmy, it's misty.
2 degrees lower and it would be snowing or freezing rain

UGH, we need gas
[drives less than a mile to the nearest gas station, steps outside, still no coat, in the rain]
Hmmm, not too bad out here today.

It amazes me how 34 degrees in fall and 34 degrees in late winter feel so different from each other. It felt so good outside this morning. It was TWO DEGREES AWAY FROM FREEZING! 

6 comments:

  1. As someone who lived in Western New York for the majority of my life, I totally know what you mean! I liked your use of italics to show your internal monologue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way this piece flows, especially in the beginning. The frantic nature of a morning trying to get to work in the "warm" winter air was so clear in the structure of a few words per line. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny, isn;t it. In spring, I wear shorts and a t-shirt when it is 68 F. In August, I'd be bundled up at the same temp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I've always said we lose perspective on those borderline temperatures from one season to the next. But it doesn't take us long to acclimated, does it? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it exactly right! I should say you showed it exactly right! It is incredible how we won't bat an eye at "two degrees above freezing" in winter but run back inside for a sweatshirt if it is 60 degrees in summer! This winter here in NJ has been so mild that 40 degrees has continued to feel chilly. Usually a 40 degree day in early March heralds spring and no coat! Not this year though. It is truly all relative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thirty-four degrees and no coat? This last week we've had several days in the mid-70s, but yesterday the high dropped down into the 60s. Everybody was complaining how cold it was!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!