My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Big Change

I'll never forget, I was little, maybe four years old.
My dad called out from the top of the stairs, "Hey, Betsy."

I had never seen my dad without a full beard. I thought a stranger was in my house. I screamed and cried until I was reassured it was my dad. I recognized his voice but not his face.

My husband has had a beard for over twenty-five years. My children have never known him without one. They have seen pictures but never lived with a beardless Shawn/dad.

Last night, Shawn proclaimed, at about 9:30 pm, "I'm just going to go do it."
I wasn't even sure what he meant. But soon enough, I had a good idea.

He came out in stages.

I reminded him, "Remember the story of when my dad shaved his beard? Don't terrify the kids."'
"You were little. They'll be fine."
I think he really thought they would be fine. My daughter is almost 13, and my son will be 15 in a couple months.

Shawn went upstairs, and I heard instant screaming.

"NOooooo!"
"Whyyyyyyyy?"

Then it changed to laughter and my son saying, "Don't come to say goodnight to me tonight."
My daughter continued to occasionally scream and laugh while running away. Even though she knew it was Shawn, it was still so bizarre to her.

Let's just say their shock and surprise even surprised Shawn. 

8 comments:

  1. The last line made me laugh. I remember my uncle did the same thing one time & I wasn't fan. He looked so...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping my husband will do the same! He loves his beard. I'm less of a fan. It is very weird to see someone after they have made a major change in their appearance. Will he grow it back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely, but for now, he's planning on keeping it gone or super short.

      Delete
  3. Haha so funny, I wonder why kids are scared of a beardless dad? Little kids here seem to be scared of beards (my husband has a little one), maybe because almost everyone is clean shaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will never believe this, but ... my youngest up and decided to shave his beard yesterday without telling any of us! What is it with the guys?? Maybe something they CAN control -? At any rate his dad was thrilled and my son's closest friend says it freaks her out and she can't look at him. Yikes! Such a fun slice to read, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband decided to shave is beard a week ago. When I asked him in disappointment why, he told me the appalling reason: he felt his beard was going to be a virus catcher :(. Thanks for the slice. I can see the kids giggling and running away. Very well described.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great distraction for a crazy time, and a fabulous change-up. It's fun to envision that beard coming off in parts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this brought back memories of my dad! He'd grow his beard out every winter, and then he'd shave it once summer hit. His face always looked so bare, so young. We'd stare at him for a few days as we adjusted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!