My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Today

Yesterday was the last day I'll see my students for at least, what sounds like, a month (three-week recess + spring break). This is, of course, based on what we know two days ago when the governor announced after 11:00pm that the next day would be our last for at least three weeks. It was sooner than expected and difficult to prepare for, but a necessary measure.

I tend to process challenging times through writing but not always with a potential audience. There have been months, years, stages within my life where writing was a good coping mechanism for me as a place to process what I was thinking with more clarity.

Sitting down to my computer this morning, I wanted to write about legitimate examples of crazy--the current situation is one--we tend to overuse the term crazy in our lives these days.
Then I wanted to write about my pattern of sleep last night--sleep, dream, awake, think, drift, sleep, repeat.

Neither of these ideas stuck.

I started to write a letter to myself. Nope.

Then I started thinking about what my plan is right now. What am I going to do to make the best of this for my family? I realized my best plan of action right now was to create a plan, a present-day plan.

Today I will:
Comment on the 18+ tabs of blogs I have at the top of my screen.
Go clean my kitchen and make a delicious late breakfast for everyone and a crockpot meal for dinner.
Drive to a park not far from our house to run/walk a bit with my family.
Choose a good novel to read.
Help my kids make a plan for the mountain of worksheet packets in their backpacks so it won't be so overwhelming.
Create a temporary schedule we can start in a day or two of--work, play, exercise, and downtime.
Take a nap.
Call my mom.
Call my sister.
Make a plan for tomorrow.

What's your plan for today?



17 comments:

  1. Your reflection and plan is helpful. I don't have any children here, but I need to give myself some structure. I love the term "present day plan". Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved walking through this evolution with you! I don't have a plan, but I definitely have a plan to make one after reading your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m feeling a bit helpless right now because of the bed rest. So, I made a schedule (which will undoubtedly change) for Isabelle. We will start a new routine on Monday. Unlike your kids, she cane home with nothing since she had a vacation day yesterday. So I’m launching Mommy School. (I doubt she’s thrilled about that.)

    It sounds like you are doing all of the right things for today. Luckily, you and your family love being outdoors so that should help.

    We are all together in this. Whatever this will look like two weeks from now, though, I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reflection and plans will bring some calm and purpose to the days, especially for your children. They will get the worksheets done, but they are also going to have better things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your reflection. I was at camp with my 6th graders and missed the massive unfolding of the news. We cam home Thursday and by Friday morning we were told we were taking an early Spring Break. It has been such a whirlwind since coming home a day early from camp, that I haven't really had a chance to process it all. It is snowing outside and I have my first cup of morning coffee. Your post has inspired me to sit still and think about what my plan is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, life is so different than we knew it to be so making a plan daily is a great idea. I am waiting to hear about my professional development workshops being canceled. There won't be any teachers available in schools to attend and when they come back to work they will have precious little time to leave the classroom. With that responsibility out of the way, I plan on taking nature walks to let nature energize me and write. Of course, there is my attic calling me to clean it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made an excellent plan. Your thinking and writing echoes so much of what I am feeling...I suspect, so much of what most of us teachers are feeling. Writing a plan is the best way out of the madness. Thank you for this! Enjoy this beautiful day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good plan, Betsy. Our plan began with stocking up on food, which was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, as I listened to the assistant grocery manager at our local store recount the- forgive me- craziness of the past few days. People buying $2,500 worth of food at one time. People in line with 6 carriages of food filled. Today's plan for us continued with a family meeting, then creative play time, then maybe a family walk. We're kind of making it up as we go, as I'm sure many people are. Not sure how we'll fill the educational gap my kids will experience being out of school for the next weeks, but...well, I'm a teacher so I'll figure something out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. I am all for routine. And reading your list I think we should put a nap on both students' and teachers' schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a list yesterday but honestly am still in the lost phase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Making a plan does help us feel a bit more in control of this season of unknowing. I am beginning my spring break with a half-planned road trip with my husband, first to our college boy's town and then who knows where? After Monday, I am on my own to garden, declutter, meet with friends, read, and actually get 7 hours of sleep a night. Enjoying empty nest plans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the idea of a daily plan. I feel a little at loose ends today! I am going to follow your example and try a list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your honesty in writing and the struggle of getting ideas for Slice of Life. I like your list format. My to-do for today is to rest and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your thought processes and plan. I too find writing to be an outlet, though most of my drafts never get published. Your candid recount of your process makes me feel not so alone. All the best, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really glad that I do not have young children in all this. My hat is off to all of you with children, as I always said I could teacher other's children but I would probably stink at teaching my own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think having a plan is going to be really helpful during all of this! You just inspired me to make a plan for tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having a plan is a good way to process the uncertainty of the days ahead. I think that will be necessary for me as I balance e learning preparation, as well as having children at home with their own elearning to complete.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!