My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Life's Little Interruptions

I'm sitting here reading a book I have titled, Wilderness Wisdom, Quotes for Inspirational Exploration. It is a book I have had for a quite a while now, It was printed in 2012, and I'm pretty sure I've had it since then, likely bought on a camping trip. It's covered in sticky notes and was one of those books that lived in my basement but is now treasured a bit more.

I was reading it, lifting sticky notes up to see what was underneath. Today I was more curious to learn what I had not "sticky noted" than what I had. 
Underneath one note, I found, "Silent company is often more healing than words of advice," author unknown. I pondered on this for a moment. 

These seem like words I likely need to hear. I tend to try and solve problems that maybe just need listening, not answering. 
Then I started to wonder a bit about quotes and poems that say "author unknown" to which I hear--

"MOM, how do I get this to work? I was using dad's razor, and it literally died! Half my face is done."

And then, some problems need solving right now. 

"Try plugging it in."
"Where is the plug? It looks like it has a three prongy thingy end or something. I don't see it."
"Hang on, I'll be there in a second."

I search around, find the three prongy thingy end plug and explain to him he'll need to wait a few minutes to finish. 

Then I look at him. 

He has this wisp of a mustache that keeps growing, not much else in terms of facial hair, and then some untamed sideburns. He was right, he was only half done. One sideburn was neatly trimmed, and half his upper lip cleanly shaved. This was a moment where advice was needed, but as he gets older, I realize more and more my silent presence is going to be of more importance. He'll need to figure things out on his own, but he'll still need me even if it means I'm just silently present. Life isn't always easily solved by a three prongy thingy, but today it was. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy, I love how you wove the two ideas together here so beautifully about being silently present. I can't believe your son is shaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being silently present might be one of the most beneficial and HARDEST things to do as the parent of a teenager. Love this post - and the idea that you were looking to see what you didn’t notice before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!