My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Choose Your Own Clickbait

My conference for this weekend was canceled. I was presenting two of the three days and had a lot of social plans with colleagues and long time friends. I'm bummed but grateful for the leaders who made the decision. I've been waiting, for the most part, assuming this would occur. Watching the writing on the wall based on what is happening around the world.

I continue to find it odd that so many of my friends who claim it is "no big deal," and say things like, "it's not even here (Michigan)" or compare it to the flu, "the flu is way worse, I don't know why the media is blowing this all out of proportion." These are the same people who tend to use the word "flu" to categorize multiple illnesses--not influenza. These are the same people who spread misinformation like candy at a parade when there is actual information based on facts available.

I wish this was a hoax. I wish it wasn't a concern. I am not paranoid, but I can take precautions and realize that many of those precautions are for the good of those who are more vulnerable. I don't understand how people can call this "hysteria" and question why events are being canceled. It isn't just about you, or you, or me! It's about everyone.

This tweet from Laurie Halse Anderson helped me understand better why cancellations and preventing the spread of the virus is so vital to not only those who will contract the virus but those who need medical care unrelated to the virus.

Maybe this will help you too. I hope.



5 comments:

  1. I saw that graphic earlier this week and found it helpful. I am sorry about your conference. So many people and institutions are facing difficult decisions in unchartered territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was headed to Michigan Reading and am thankful they made the decision to cancel. We are in a state of emergency in MA. My son is coming home from college indefinitely on Friday. This is real and it is spreading quickly. It is not about any one of us ... it is about the greater good. I hope we, as a community, live up to being the kind of person that pays it forward to those who need it. Thanks for sharing the tweet - I had missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. This helps me understand the situation better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to everything you said! And thank you for sharing the tweet -- so helpful to pass along to others! ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  5. No hysteria here but I am taking precautions because I am not interested in getting it or any of my family contracting either. So, i am being more vigilant with the nose pickers, butt pickers, pencil chewers, window lickers etc. They are politely but firmly asked to go wash their hands! Lets hope that this will fade away quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!