My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Training

I'm watching my son train on the treadmill for a track season he isn't going to get.
Coach is texting suggestions.
As much as he wants to follow them, he wants to ignore them.

He's angry.
He's worn out.
He keeps working.

I'm watching him as we push him to keep working.
Why?
Who will otherwise?

While he's on the treadmill, we get another email about another cancelation.
A trip scheduled for May in Cleveland.
Refunds are coming.
But disappointment is left in its wake.
One more thing he won't get to do.
One more wave of emotions unprepared for.
Then he's not surprised.

I watch him working for an unknown.
I'm grateful it still matters to him.
I'm not sure how long it will.
Resentment and frustration are becoming more and more real.
More and more challenging to tame.
The running is good for that.

I'm watching my son train on the treadmill for a season of unknowns.



6 comments:

  1. Our kids are definitely impacted by this and I wonder how long they will keep at it? Is this just the new norm? My husband too just runs despite all his races being cancelled. I try to encourage and motivate, but the unknown makes it hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing truly captures the sentiments of this unknown season. By taking us through the emotions so many of us are thinking, you have helped us see how hard this all is for so many. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stated it so well, "Season of unknowns," and that is for sure. That seems to be the theme that won't escape my mind. We always have an end in sight, even the beginning of the school year that seems so long, we can flip our calendars to May and know that summer will be here ... but this is different, way different than any of us have ever experienced. I just keep waiting to see that tiny glimpse of light ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cancellation of plans is probably the most frustrating part of this whole event. The impact on achieving major and minor life goals--track meets, public weddings, supporting sick loved ones--is hitting harder than actual illness for many. I hope we are all able to work through this frustration, as your son is doing on his treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just is awful (the situation- not the writing- the writing rocks!). I feel terrible for your son and for mine too- he was so excited for his soccer season, his flag football, his final basketball game. Everything canceled. Everything he loves taken away. I worry about the mental health of our children. It's only a few days in and I don't know how long this will stretch. What lessons can we teach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so strange that every single one of us is going through this same horrible thing at the same time. How do we give support to one another, keep others strong, when it is hard on everyone in raw and real ways? I feel so badly for your son! What a sad and poignant final line: "I'm watching my son train on the treadmill for a season of unknowns."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!