My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Play Practice

3:47 Briskly walking out the door. My son carrying half of my things 50 steps ahead of me. 

3:49 I'm pulling in, just in time to wait in the line of cars.

Kids start wandering out. Only around 10-12 kids. There she is, orange coat, bouncing down the sidewalk. 

I wondered how her day had been. She was smiling so I was a bit relieved. Not every day is easy in middle school and I was pretty sure today wasn't going to be easy--because--middle school. 

She shoved herself into the front seat, backpack and all struggling to get her seat belt on before starting to tell me--all the things. 

"How was rehearsal?"

"It was good. Oh my gosh, like five people have dropped out, but Mrs. McLane said we are doing great. And when she said that, the boy who plays *Joel, he gave me a thumbs up."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, how is someone that cute?" Her eyes drifted to the ceiling. We had barely left the lot and I was unable to look away from her dreamlike gaze.

"Jane...what makes him so cute?"

"Oh my gosh, I don't know. It's...he's just...his fluffy noir hair...it bounces like a cloud. No one should be allowed to be that cute. I mean I just like him like a friend. He's so nice. I mean, I might have a little crush," wiggles in her seat to get comfortable as she grins uncontrollably. 

"Oh my, you might?"

"Well..."


4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Stop growing up girl! I love hearing these stories. They are so very different from my experience with my daughter. She keeps this type of thing pretty under wraps. I love how all the things just seemed to roll out of Jane so easily. But I wonder...when did boys stop having cooties and could they get them again please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was pretty sure today wasn't going to be easy - because - middle school." This is basically my life summed up in a sentence! I teach 6th-8th and man, if I had a dollar for every time a middle school girl came up to me to ask me advice about her crush, I'd be one wealthy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that she says "noir hair" makes my day! I only have sons...life is different here. Ha! Middle school is the pits. I'm so glad she had a good day and that you recorded it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Not every day is easy in middle school and I was pretty sure today wasn't going to be easy--because--middle school." I love this! I am brand new to teaching middle school, and I am getting quite the education. ;-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!