My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Shifting Gears

I had a list of things to get done yesterday. It wasn't a hard list. It was easy, simple things. Clean this. Cook that. Check this. Read that.
I barely scratched the surface.
I found myself binge-watching Homeland on Hulu. It was very unproductive, but I think it was also just a response to this ridiculous time. A response to being overwhelmed as I feel like I should be doing more to support people around me so therefore I did less.

I think today will be different. I plan on exercising earlier in the day in hopes to springboard my motivation. I'll work to not dwell or escape the situation but instead set some goals for myself. One is a connection goal. What's my plan for staying connected in a more authentic way with my colleagues, my family, my friends? I think a video call/coffee date with my sister might be a wise move.

I found out today my building will be closed off on Friday, no entry allowed until further notice.
The word indefinitely seems to be coming up a lot lately, but not for everything.

4 comments:

  1. I found myself doing the same yesterday. I thought I would get so much done, but I ended up playing around on my phone between answering student questions. I think it will take time for all of us to get used to this new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we all need time to adjust to this new normal. It's almost like we need to deflate and then be ready to lift ourselves up - bit by bit. I'm looking forward to setting a schedule for myself and helping our teens do the same. My husband is now working from home and with scheduled meetings on Zoom, he's set up shop in the dining room and I envy his structure. We'll get there. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new normal the keeps changing makes it hard to feel settled and calm. There may be more days like this one followed then by other days that feel more productive and satisfying. I suspect just when we've figured out how to balance between the extremes, the crisis phase will be behind us and we will marvel at how we made it through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that way too. We've been closed since after kids left Friday. Today is the 4th day of I don't know how long. It's been really hard to get the kids on a productive schedule while also trying to be a teacher to my students. So far I haven't been asked to do too much because they were sent home with lessons and test prep books. That might change as this stretches on. I miss real life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!