My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Gift Wrap: SOLSC 26 of 31

Today I was wrapping birthday presents for my 14 soon to 15-year-old. I got to work organizing the gifts, wrapping, and taping. I found this pretty paper with a plant design and it sent me into a memory. 

When I was little, we shopped at this store called Milliken's. It was in downtown Traverse City, and at the time, it was a large department store. It had a basement where you could get things gift-wrapped. I LOVED going downstairs to watch the gift wrapping process. The sound of the paper swishing off the roll, the scrape of the scissors searing through the paper. The rolling of the tape and snapping sound of it being pulled from finger to paper. My favorite part though, the ribbon. Often the gift wrappers would double bow and double wrap with ribbon in a layering design. The craft of this whole process was mesmerizing and beautiful. 

I recall I would later find empty boxes and wrap them, perfecting my bow and ribbon designs. It was so rewarding and fun. They would become little decorations in my room until I decided I wanted to try a different style or color. One of those oddly amusing activities I found myself doing as a child. 



5 comments:

  1. SIGH, my second job was as a gift wrapper for a small local department store, Jaisons. Yes it was in the basement and yet it was a magical process.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece brings back some memories. I enjoyed the details description. I bet your wrapped presents look really nice still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought back memories for me, too. I loved to watch the gift wrapper at the store, and did memorize the way she (and it was always "she") folded the paper so it neatly covered the package. But I never mastered the bow-making. Those gift wrappers had a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, what a great memory, so precise and memorable. Love this image: Often the gift wrappers would double bow and double wrap with ribbon in a layering design. I, too, love to watch gift wrappers but I never saw a design as you explained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MapleStory.es - 3D isometric adventure MMORPG<

    Download MapleStory and start the game.

    https://maplestory.es/

    MapleStory is a free to download 2D online video game of the MMORPG genre, created by the Korean company Wizet. Although the game is free to play, it includes other items that can be purchased for real money. Around the world, the game has millions of users. The story of the game is about some travelers who seek to save the Maple World from the terrible Black Mage. In this plot, the travelers become stronger as they eliminate the enemies of the game, many creatures of different appearance. As they advance in level, travelers choose the paths and disciplines to follow, which we will detail below.

    What is MapleStory?
    MapleStory 2 is a 3D isometric adventure MMORPG in which players create their own character and select one of several jobs to explore the new Maple World. Players will find several NPCs with various Quests, Monsters, and Bosses from the previous version, as well as completely new ones to fight against. The game also features dungeons and raids for players to team up with each other to complete.

    Out of action
    There are also a variety of activities for players to participate in, such as buying and building personal homes, crafting with Life Skills, fishing, composing music, creating custom user content such as custom clothing, and much more.

    History of the last UPDATE
    Nexon published the first closed beta test of the global version which ran from May 9, 2018 to May 16, 2018, and a second closed beta ran from July 18 to August 1, 2018. The game launched on October 10, 2018 with players who purchased a Founder's Pack on or after October 1, 2018. On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, Nexon ended service for the global version of MapleStory 2.

    https://maplestory.es/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!