My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Someone Else's Robin: SOLSC 5 of 31

I was on my way to get a grocery pick-up this morning. Arie was tagging along. It was a sunny morning, around 9:30. Many birds were flitting about, leaves blew across the road, and traffic was light. 

ME: "Was that a robin? I barely got a glimpse."

ARIE: "Is that like a sign of spring or something?"

ME: "Yes, and every year around this time, I start looking, and it is an EVENT. Not a quick glimpse. But I think that was a robin."

ARIE: "So is it good that you saw one?"

ME: "Not exactly how I wanted to see one. It's usually a big deal for me. Last year I had one come right to my window at school and just hang out there. It was so nice. This feels pretty blah to me. It's also really early to see one."

ARIE: ...

ME: "There are some things that I purposefully make a big deal. Little things that I look forward to that don't really have any significance, but I create significance. You can do that too."

I actively searched the ground the rest of the way as we ran all our errands. I didn't see another robin today, and I've decided even if that was a robin, it wasn't MY robin. Some things we can choose to make big and some things we can make smaller. Silly as it may be. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy,
    I look for the first robin as well! To add to this, I get really upset if, all of a sudden, I notice there are LOTS of robins around and I somehow missed "my one." I am so excited to know that there is someone else out there who feel the same as I do about this. I tend to add significance to many little things in life which to me, makes life worth living! I suspect you are probably the same way. Thank you for the validation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it -- it wasn't MY robin. This is such a great way to look at life ... you definitely taught me that I can do that too. So nice to see you -- looking forward to this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the ratio of my days get proportionally shorter as the denominator of my days on earth keeps getting larger, marking the transitions is definitely significant. Thanks for reminding us to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. At times, we can choose what is big and small in our lives. I hope the robin you are looking for comes soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!