My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Monday, March 13, 2023

13 Sips: 13 of 31

Hah-ICK

HUP

Hah-----ICK

HUP

Silence...

Wait, hold still, listen.

HICCUP!

"You okay in here?" I whispered at my son's door. 

"Hah-ICK. Yes, hicCUP. 

I just           HICCUP

           can't        HICCUP

                       get rid of        HICCUP

these 

HIC-HICCUPS!"

"Did you try yet?"

"No, I was just about to."

When I asked if he'd tried, he knew exactly what I meant. 

Many years ago, back in one of those years when I was teaching first grade. One of my student shared a story about her grandma's remedy for hiccups. She shared it because I was in the middle of teaching and suddenly got a case of the hiccups that would not let up. She said, "My grandma always has me take thirteen sips of water and that cures them."

I distinctly remember the moment we put this to the test in class. Sure enough, thirteen sips of water and the lesson continued. 

Elliot, my hiccuping son, eventually gave in and got some water. Thirteen sips later...silence. 




4 comments:

  1. I love that I had to read the beginning like I was hiccupping! And I'll have to try that remedy next time I have the hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! I always try to take small sips and swallow between each - glad I didn't just make this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Nothing but time has ever worked for me! Glad the 13 sips worked, and the spacing in the post also REALLY works. It's like a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we say two lines about hiccups and what medicine for it, and drink three mouthfuls of water or any drink 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!