My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

29 Lines: 29 of 31

A crack of light

peeks through the door frame.

I wonder,

What time is it?

5:00 am, ugh.

Then I hear a muffled noise.

Sitting up, I listen harder.

As if thinking about the silence

makes it louder.

Silence has no volume control.

I hear the noise again.

Did someone say...mom?

Much like spidey-sense, my mom-dar is up.

I hear it again. 

That's it. I'm up. 

Quietly I step toward the kids' rooms.

I listen right, then left.

Arie, are you calling out?

You could hear me? 

I just don't feel good.

Arie sighs into a gurgly moan.

Does something hurt?

My head aches.

My throat is dry.

My nose burns.

Hmmm, thermometer time.

100.2 not a true fever

but true enough 

to change our plans.



5 comments:

  1. Oh no; I hope the kiddo feels better soon. Your slice is full of vivid word play. I connected with “mom-dar “ and liked how you contrasted “not a true fever” to “true enough to change plans.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this line: "Silence has no volume control." So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of spare, precise details and the color-coded sections render the familiar story in a new light for this reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rhythm of this poems builds suspense--are you hearing things or is there a real "mom" call.
    Favorite line: "Much like spidey-sense, my mom-dar is up"

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's so much to like in this post. Your mom-dar, your use of colors, the specific details (the crack of light peeking through the door frame), but being sick on spring break is not something to like.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!