My Other Blogs:

Other Corners to Find Me:

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Two Days: 2 of 31

Two days. 

Two days off of school for my son. 

My 17-year-old son has had a rough winter with illness after illness. Today it was low O2 levels, breathing treatments, and figuring out what he can and cannot do. It's his senior year. He is a band kid, and festival is this week. He has a solo, a beautiful solo, in one of the songs. But here we are, trying to decide whether he can participate. Not participating is devastating; so many lasts are here, this final year of high school. And yet, participating might be devastating to him physically if he can't get enough oxygen to play a sound. 

So now, it's more than just considering how we get him caught up when high school is so demanding in these final months. It's also, how do we tell him he might miss out? Again. 



3 comments:

  1. So glad to find you, Betsy. I never have time to scroll through all the people, so it's fun to bump into folks I've missed. I'm so sorry for your son. Band events are so important to band kids. I'm hoping he'll somehow get to participate. That the two days at home will provide the rest he needs and bolster his system. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...you are between a rock and a hard spot. I hope he still gets to perform his solo and feels better and gets caught up with his school work and enjoys his senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those "lasts" of high school are so important. I think it's so hard for kids (I know he's a young adult, but you know what I mean.) to feel like they're missing out because of illness. But there's just no way his body will be able to rebound for all of the fun end of the year stuff if he doesn't heal up now. Ooof. I feel for you. This is a LOT for both parents and kiddo (I mean, young adulto!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment love!